Monday, February 11, 2013

A Chihuahua, Therapy Dog for Empty Nest Syndrome


A Chihuahua:  Meet Poochie!


My Chihuahua, Poochie, is not just a pet but a little angel with a heart and soul deeper and more loyal than most people I know. Her devotion to me is exceptional.
When my kids were teenagers she would not allow them to sneak up on me from the back when I was on the computer. She always had a barking fit or should I say alarm to warn me. I always thought it rather funny, her protection of me from the teenagers, but sometimes I appreciated the warning.
When our teens started leaving home, and sometimes rudely, Poochie was there to help a grieving Mom through her empty nest syndrome.

My husband and I had always been very close to  our kids, and tried hard to be close to our teens. (If you have teens, you know it is not always easy.) As they swiftly left home, and we have five, we grieved each one. We wouldn't have felt so sad, if we knew, slowing, some would return.
But during that time period when I was feeling so sad and lost. Poochie was always right there giving me all the love she could muster. Anytime, I felt down, she was there. She knew my feelings, and ups and downs, almost before I did, and she was there. She was always cuddling up to me, looking at me with her huge brown eyes, as if to say, "I will never leave you! I will always be here for you! I am devotedly yours!"
About Me. The MOM, Mom of Many

I am the adopted Mom of four kids and the extra Mom of my husbands cousin's daughter. So for a little while, we had the delight of having five teenagers or close, running around in our house. Most are off to other adventures now. So when Poochie was feeling protective of me, we had a house full. For a 2 and 1/2 lb. dog, that was a lot of courage, to keep up with them.

Where we got our little 2 1/2 lb. Chihuahua!

We owned Poochie's mother, so I was the first person in her life as I was the one that helped with the birth. With dogs it is called "whelping" when the pups are born. So Poochie was mine from the very beginning of her life. She loves my husband and the kids but she always makes it plain that I am hers.
How we came up with her name?
  My husband started calling this little puppy, Chihuahua, "Poochie" as I was debating other names like "Fawna", etc. The name just stuck.
He tried to reverse it to Chipoo, but now that is a new designer breed. not a Chihuahua. So Poochie was best.

No comments:

Post a Comment